Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sometimes I wonder why I read Dailytech user comments...

Alright, news story this time is that AMD has finally launched a 3ghz version of Athlon64 on Socket AM2. It's a little over $600 right now, and Newegg had some.

As I'm reading through the limited user comments on Dailytech, I began to call into question why I even read those comments to begin with. I saw several people talking up Core2, Conroe, and Kentsfield and how it's better than Socket AM2. Now, since I have a feeling that some jackass is going to not like having their warped reality called into question, I'm not laying odds on the post remaining viewable over on DT.

So, lets put it here.

Alright, I just read the above posts, and it's time to rip them apart.

How long has Socket AM2 been out? About since May 23rd 2006.

How long has Socket 775 been out? THG talked about the launch back on June 19, 2004.

How many people who bought Socket AM2 motherboards last year, back in March and April, are able to use Single Core, Dual Core, Quad Core, this new 3.0ghz chip, and AM3 socket Processors? Every single one.

How many people who bought Socket 775 motherboards last year, back in March and April, are able to use Conroe, Dual Core Conroe, and Quad Core Kentsfield. Almost none.

The point is, every single time Intel launches a new processor, even for an existing socket, in this case one that is for a socket well over 2 years old, chances are you'll need to also be buying a new motherboard with it.

So, to those who claim that you should pick up E6600 over an Socket AM2? Sorry, but I like being able to buy a new processor alone, not a new motherboard at the same time.

So, if you did make the mistake of buying Conroe based chips, and it was a mistake, you have my pity. Take it.

I'll have the upgrade path for myself.

No comments: